Christian education for all ages starts again September 11th! All are welcome. Classes for Preschool, Grades 1-3, and Grades 4-6 will meet in the sanctuary basement. The Youth class will meet in the Youth room (109), and adults will meet in the Sanctuary.
It’s that time of year again: time to fill MCC School Kits! There are two ways that you can participate. First, you can make a monetary donation to help us buy school supplies by writing a cheque to the church and designating it ‘school kits’. Second, you can fill a kit as a family! Bags and lists of the necessary contents will be set out in the Foyer sometime in the next couple weeks, and you can pick them up, fill the bag, and bring it back to the church. To fill an MCC School Kit, you will need:
- Any combination of 4 spiral or perforated-pages notebooks (about 21.5cm x 27cm) totally 500-600 pages, OR 7 spiral or perforated-pages notebooks (about 21.5cm x 27cm)
- 8 new unsharpened pencils
- 1 ruler (flat, good quality; must indicate 30cm, inch markings optional)
- 12 coloured pencils (in packaging)
- 1 large eraser
- 2 new black or blue ballpoint pens
- 1 small all-metal pencil sharpener, one or two holes (we have a batch of sharpeners at the church. If you cannot find an all-metal sharpener, pack your kit without one, and we can add one here)
In the community
Mennonite Central Committee
Thank You! Thank you for being so generous to Material Resources! Your donations are making a big difference. We’re still low on supplies for school kits and relief kits. Please contact Linda Dickinson, Material Resources Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
MCC Alberta Annual General Meeting. The MCC Alberta Annual General Meeting is on September 28 at 7pm on Zoom. Everyone is invited to attend and participate in the conversation! Register to join us at forms.office.com/r/AVRRuNBpvR. Registrants will receive the Zoom link via email.
Register for MCC Fall Festival. Register today to help us plan for numbers and prepare a seat and a meal for you! Please visit mcccanada.ca/get-involved/events/mcc-alberta-fall-festival for more information.
Volunteer at MCC Fall Festival. Interested in volunteering at Fall Festival? We’re looking for help in the following teams:
- Auction Assistance
- Payment Booth
- Table Cleaners
- Food Service
Register online at mccreliefsale.com/volunteer or call the office at 403-275-6935.
MCC Fall Festival Auction Donations. The Fall Festival auction needs your hand crafted quilts, woodwork, art, needlework, and other special items! To register your item for the auction, visit mccreliefsale.com/donate-items/ or call the office at 403-275-6935.
GO!100 has been extended into September! That adds a little more time to sponsor participants as they finish their challenges to support the work of MCC. Link: mcccanada.ca/get-involved/events/go-100-alberta
Peace Sunday Packet. Peace Sunday falls on November 6, 2022 and the packet materials centre on the theme, “Peace is More Than a Wish.” In this packet, we share stories from MCC staff and volunteers around the world. People who, regardless of their context, are asking important questions including:
- How do we humanize our enemies?
- How do we help others find peace when we’ve been victimized ourselves?
- How do we open ourselves to the wonder of forgiveness?
- How do we ensure peace is more than a wish?
To help you reflect on these questions, sign-up to receive this year’s Peace Sunday packet at: mcccanada.ca/2022-peace-sunday-packet
Cultivating Sanctuary: A conversation on preventing and responding to Sexual Misconduct by Church Leaders. We invite you to join us this September for a 5-part New Leaf Learning Centre series. Guided by the expertise of MCC presenters, together we will learn what the Church can do to help prevent church leader sexual abuse and cultivate sanctuary for church members. This practical equipping Learning Centre series is specifically designed for pastors, staff teams, church board members, ministry leaders and lay leaders.
These sessions will offer:
- definitions for what constitutes church leader sexual misconduct including why and how it occurs.
- best practices in developing policies for abuse prevention, and disclosure response.
- conversation around the complex topics of responding to situations of harm, power and healthy boundaries, church culture, and healthy masculinity.
- opportunities for facilitated conversations with other like-minded Jesus followers who desire to learn about this important topic
- Q&A with our expert presenters
Mennonite Historical Society of Alberta
The MHSA invites you to their 2022 Fall Conference, happening on Saturday, October 15, 2022 at 2:00 pm. The conference will be held at Kneehill Christian School in Linden, AB. There will be two speakers: Brent Wiebe on “Treasures of the Archives” and Menno Klaassen on “Donating your personal papers.” Katie Harder will be the MC, and there will be a light lunch to follow. To pre-register, email Dave at email@example.com.
Canadian Mennonite University
Pray for the students, faculty, and staff at CMU as another academic year begins on September 7. Pray that the CMU learning community would grow together in wisdom and understanding to make a positive difference in the world.
Xplore: At the Intersection of Faith and Life – Xplore offers life-long learning courses investigating dimensions of the Christian faith, our world, and life in it—all without any assignments or examinations! Join one or more of our six courses in-person or online Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday mornings, beginning October 5. For information and to register visit cmu.ca/xplore.
Beth Shalom Synagogue
Beth Shalom Synagogue invites you to the Moshe Yedlin Memorial Library Book Sale on September 11 from 1-6 pm at 11916 Jasper Ave. If you’re interested in buying books, come check out the collection of fiction, history and religion texts, art books, and more available for sale!