The Te Deum Singers present Gospel Songs and Spirituals! The concert will be on Sunday, July 24 at 3:00 pm at the Mennonite Heritage Farm. See your bulletin for more details!
Cheryl Pauls and Reynold Friesen of Canadian Mennonite University will be in Edmonton for the MCCanada Assembly. They would like to connect with CMU alumni and friends to share news about CMU and hear from you about CMU’s vision going forward. There are three opportunities to connect with them:
- Thursday, July 28 at 7 pm at Lendrum Mennonite Church.
- Saturday, July 30 at 11:45 am. For those attending the MC Canada Assembly, there are tables reserved over lunch.
- Sunday, July 31 at 2 pm at Victoria Park. They will meet at the Pavilion main entrance facing the field.
In the community
Mennonite Central Committee
Hunger Crisis. Around 50 million people are at crisis levels of hunger, teetering on the edge of famine. That’s up from 27 million in 2019 before the pandemic began. This hunger crisis has been triggered by several factors. Conflict, disaster and rising food prices are the main things that disrupt people’s ability to access food. Mennonite Central Committee is joining with the Humanitarian Coalition to raise funds and respond with emergency supplies.
Give at: http://donation.mcccanada.ca/hunger
Join us for fellowship and fundraising! Come to Bergthal Mennonite Church on September 24 and you’ll find live and silent auctions inside the church, vereniki outside under the tent and friends new and old everywhere! All proceeds support local and global MCC programs for relief, development and peace. The festival runs from 10 o’clock to 3 o’clock. We look forward to seeing you!
Event poster: https://mcccanada.ca/media/resources/12776
- Organizing committee
- Parking assistance
- Set up & take down
- Greeting team
- Food service
Contact Phil Heidebrecht at (403) 540-1508 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Donate an auction item:
Contact MCC Alberta at (403) 275-6935 or email@example.com
How is climate change affecting farmers? For MCC, caring for God’s creation is a top priority. We can see that creation, including the land and God’s people, is suffering in many ways. Partners say that changing weather patterns affect almost every aspect of their lives. Since 1960, climate change has reduced farm productivity growth by 21% globally. (Source: IPCC, 2022: Climate Change 2022: Impacts, Adaptation, and Vulnerability).
Holy Spirit Community Garden
HS Community Garden is hosting their Fresh Ideas Event on Thursday, July 28, 2022. At 6:00 pm, meet in the Garden (11223 51 Ave) for mocktails and appetizers. At 7:00, guest speaker Dr. Noreen Willow will speak on “Food security through growing community.” This will be followed by coffee, dessert, and discussion.
You can sign up to attend at www.holyspiritlutheran.ca, or call the Holy Spirit Lutheran church office at 780-434-4012.
Pope Francis is coming to Canada, and is going to be in Alberta on July 25 and 26. This visit will be focused on Indigenous healing and reconciliation. The events open to the public are:
- Holy Mass, July 26th, 10:15 am. July 26th is the feast of St. Anne, grandmother of Jesus, a day of particular reverence for Indigenous Catholics and often the focus of pilgrimage in various parts of the country. In this event which will be open to the public, the Holy Father will celebrate an open-air Mass at Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton. The facility can accommodate up to 65,000 attendees for a program that will incorporate Indigenous traditions as part of the gathering. The event will also be livestreamed.
- Pilgrimage and Liturgy of the Word, July 26th, 5:00 pm. In the early evening, the Holy Father will travel to Lac Ste. Anne, the site of an annual pilgrimage that welcomes tens of thousands of Indigenous participants from throughout Canada and the United States each year. Programming will be offered throughout the day leading up to the Holy Father’s participation in a prayer service. This event will also be livestreamed.
For more information, check out the website.