The season of Advent is like a doorway – or rather a series of doorways – leading us to the Christ-child and the hope that is wrapped up in fresh hay on Christmas morning. As darkness gathers on the edges of our days, embracing us in stillness and inviting our alert awareness, we pause with our hand on the knob of the first door. Do we dare open it? What waits for us once we enter? What will be find on the other side?
In the days and weeks leading up to Christmas, we will open many doors and we will cross many thresholds. Each one, drawing us closer, inviting us deeper into this season of preparation and expectation. Will you join us?
Our Advent series, Through the Advent Door, will play with the image of a doorway and what it looks like to knock, open, and enter through the doorways we encounter in Scripture, song, art, and experience during this special season. What do we find on the other side? Who meets us there? What questions are we prompted to ask? What lessons do we learn along the way?
This year, congregants of all ages are invited to join us on this journey. You can participate by:
Joining us for our weekly worship services throughout Advent:
- November 28 – Opening the Door to the Unexpected
- December 5 – Opening the Door to the Familiar (Symbols of Christmas)
- December 12 – Opening the Door to a New Future (LMC Kids & Youth Christmas Pageant)
- December 19 – Opening the Door to Uncertainty (Carol Service)
“Counting down to Christmas”:
- Chocolate Advent Calendars (for our kids & youth) – available for pick up on Sunday mornings or during office hours
- Experiential Advent Calendars (for ages) – available electronically here or print out for pick up on Sunday mornings or during office hours
“Advent Doorways” Photo/Poetry/Art Contributions:
- Express yourself through photography, writing, and art by creatively sharing your reflections of the season. Drawing inspiration from the phrase “Advent Doorways” – what do you see in the world around you or in your minds eye that captures your experience of this season?
- Contributions can be submitted to the church office and will be shared with our community throughout Advent: firstname.lastname@example.org
Daily Advent Readings: Consider committing to daily Advent readings to guide you through the season. Here are some suggestions:
- Through the Advent Door e-book (for purchase) and other resources (for free) by Jan Richardson (http://adventdoor.com/).
- As We Wait by MB Seminary (available for free online – sign up here)
- Finding Advent Shalom by New Leaf Network (available for free online – sign up here)
- Gospel of Luke – This Gospel will feature prominently in the lectionary cycle in the upcoming year. If you read one chapter at a time, beginning on Dec 1, by Christmas Day you’ll have journeyed through the entire book!
Support an Advent Project:
- Mennonite Disaster Services – Response to BC flooding (more details to be shared in our services and Friday emails)
- Peace Tree – Help decorate our Peace Tree in the foyer by bringing donations of warm toques, mittens, and socks for those in need this winter season. Adult sizes for both men and women are appreciated. The tree will be ready to receive gifts beginning November 28!